Thursday, April 22, 2010

Puddle splashin' and fajita night!

The days are getting longer and brighter here, but that doesn't mean there isn't the occasional downpour. Good thing we have our rain boots! These are from a few weeks ago, when we ventured out in search of some really good puddles. I was sure Elena was going to faceplant right in the middle of some of those deep ones, but she didn't! She was glad to get out of those wet pants, though. :)





I've been trying to expand my stash of go-to recipes (which is very, very small), and I've also been discovering that most things we love to eat are much easier to make than I ever thought! So last week I was inspired to try my hand at homemade tortillas, and they were delicious! Can you believe this was a leftover night?! We had an assortment of meats to fill our fajitas including chicken, pulled pork, and ground beef (probably not normal). All we had to do was chop some veggies and make the tortillas. Yum!



Homemade Flour Tortillas:
4C all-purpose flour
1 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
2 tbsp shortening/butter/oil/lard
1 1/2 C water
Mix flour, salt and baking powder together in a medium bowl, then add binding ingredient (shortening/butter/oil/lard). Mix with fingers until it resembles cornmeal. Add water and mix until dough comes together; place on lightly floured surface and knead for a few minutes until smooth and elastic. Divide dough into 24 equal pieces and roll each piece into a ball.
Preheat a large skillet over med-high heat. Use a well-floured rolling pin to roll a dough ball into a thin, round tortilla. Place into hot skillet and cook until bubbly and golden; flip and continue cooking until golden on other side. Place cooked tortilla in oven at low setting to keep warm; continue rolling and cooking remaining dough.
[I didn't have a rolling pin, so mine came out a little thicker, but you can roll them pretty thin without breaking. It should only take a few minutes on each side to cook.]

2 comments:

Erin said...

Yummy!! Will HAVE to try. We only buy our tortillas now at Costco....the authentic kind...dont need any butter or anythign to heat up in pan and they are SO GOOD. Your dinner looked almost too pretty to eat!!

Lo said...

Cuuuuute pictures in the puddles! If I stood knee deep in a puddle it would not be a puddle...