I haven't been this excited about a new bike since I was still losing baby teeth, but I am pretty pumped. A bicycle built for three!
On our bus ride from the airport I spotted a local mom cruising on one of these. I was super impressed. I didn't even know you could have this many people on a bike! (I mean, legally...) Most Japanese bikes have a plethora of baskets, but this here... this brings useful to a whole new level. Quicker than a stroller, easier to park than a car. I was sold.
Originally I was just looking for a bike with one child seat, thinking that Adam could have the other on his bike. But he pointed out that if I'm going to ride it during the day I'll need to be able to fit both of them. It's already been so awesome cruising around base. Today we went to a few parks and the grocery store (Elena held the milk in her lap). :) I'm looking forward to navigating around our new neighborhood too. Japanese streets are a little more intimidating, but fortunately, most bikes here ride on the sidewalk.
Madeleine hates getting buckled in, just like a carseat, but once we start moving she has a great time.
So far we haven't hit any bug clouds, and she loves seeing everything in the front. Isn't it so cool how the front seat is designed into the bike? It's removable, but the handlebars actually wrap around and cradle Madeleine's seat.
I'd been skeptical of front child seats on bikes because it seems so awkward/dangerous for the parent to be reaching over the kid. Also, having the brakes within reach of Madeleine would be a bad idea. This one has none of those issues, and the seat is much more rollcage-style in case of a fall. No accidents yet, but I did tip the bike over before getting on one of my first trips out. Oops... Both girls were fine, so I'm a fan of their seats already.
I was also relieved to find that balance isn't much of an issue except when stationary, mostly when I'm getting on and off (hence that first tip) . Also, don't try jumping a curb... unless you want to work on arm crunches.
And, of course, Elena likes her big girl seat in the back.
Madeleine can't wait till she gets promoted to the big seat (sometimes she'll climb in just to sit), but there's a lower weight limit on the front.
Even Daddy uses it sometimes, although his legs are a little long.
It was made for Japanese people, after all. :)
I have no idea what this says, but it sure is cute.
Buying the bike was an experience in itself. In our first trip off-base with the girls (during our first week), we walked over to the mall a few blocks down to browse their selection. The whole mall was pretty impressive. Eight or so floors full of mall food, clothing, a few 100 yen stores (their dollar stores), a grocery store, even a theater. We picked out several models in a row while two sales people with limited english patiently explained that the rear racks had weight limits that wouldn't hold Elena. So we finally picked the mommy model with the front seat, and then got an extra child seat for the back. The bike guy there was even nice enough to install it for us. We got some unknown dishes down in the food court while waiting, I'm pretty sure the girls shocked a few old women by eating rice with their fingers, and then we headed home with our new snazzy ride.
Unfortunately, their adult helmets were way overpriced and we had to wait a week for the base to restock, so actually enjoying the bike is still new for us. Looking forward to Adam's bike coming with our stuff for some fun family rides!
Also, this is the used minivan we picked out last week. Definitely not as cool as my bike, but what is? It's still odd to get in the left front seat to passenge, but driving on the opposite side of the road was not as crazy as I thought it would be. I'll be glad when I stop hitting the windshield wipers instead of the turn signal, though.
Unfortunately, their adult helmets were way overpriced and we had to wait a week for the base to restock, so actually enjoying the bike is still new for us. Looking forward to Adam's bike coming with our stuff for some fun family rides!
Also, this is the used minivan we picked out last week. Definitely not as cool as my bike, but what is? It's still odd to get in the left front seat to passenge, but driving on the opposite side of the road was not as crazy as I thought it would be. I'll be glad when I stop hitting the windshield wipers instead of the turn signal, though.
7 comments:
Love your bike!!! The girls seem to love it too :) So much fun!!
That bike is awesome! Are you going to ship it back when you come home? =)
Congratulations! The girls are getting so big! And the bike looks pretty cool. I haven't seen one of those back in the states.
Give everyone hugs from the Bells in Salina.
"Bug cloud." Haha, you crack me up! Looks like you guys are doing well in Japan. I'm enjoying reading about your adventures!
That is the coolest bike! Alice is asleep right now, but I can't wait to show her the pics of the girls on the bike. She'll love it. We miss you guys.
What a fun bike! Glad you can ride around with both girls. :)
Amazon hunting for front bike seats now... :o)
Post a Comment