A year and a half, already! Thursday marked 18 months since her entry into this world, and it's hard to believe how much she's grown and changed in such a short time. What an amazing little girl she's becoming! It's incredible to watch her just absorb things into her little brain and then spit them right back out at the world. We taught her "belly button" and now she loves to pull up her shirt to check on hers. I don't know if she can actually see it past her round little tummy, but she knows it's there!
Yesterday we went to her well-baby checkup, which yielded an interesting conversation. Elena has always been on the petite side but it's not something we worry about. We know she's well-fed and happy. So she weighed in at 21.7 lbs and 31 in. According to the charts used in most doctor offices, that puts Elena about 15 percentile in weight and 30 percentile for height. The doctor starts giving me tips on how to get Elena to bulk up. Her advice? Put butter on everything. Any vegetables you give, cover them with butter. Really? That just seems like a terrible idea. Yes, I will try and make sure she eats plenty of good fatty foods (like avocado or milk), but I am not going to set my daughter up for poor eating habits her whole life. Maybe this is why we have an obesity epidemic in our country.
So naturally, I search out other sources of knowledge. A few months ago I stumbled upon a different growth chart, put out by the World Health Organization. What sets it apart is that their chart uses data from exclusively breastfed babies (not because formula is bad, but to recognize that a baby's natural growth rate will come from breastmilk), where most growth data makes no attempt to differentiate nursed or formula-fed babies. Since the children studied were monitored for good nutrition, these growth charts also seek to display what a healthy child should weigh, instead of simply reflecting the current average size of our nation's children today. Interestingly enough, according to these new charts Elena measures 40 percentile for weight and 50 percentile for height.
I'd love to hear what other people think about the WHO's new charts (you can find all of them here). And a quick note: I know every parent reading this is a great mom or dad, whether the choice is to nurse or formula. And obviously I'm not saying kids higher in the growth chart are or will have weight issues. The charts have a wide range of normal for a reason. There are many ways to raise a healthy child, and every child is very different.
In other news, Adam's dad came out for most of this last week. It was great being able to spend so much time with him! After he left, though, I realized I hadn't taken any pictures! We had a lot of fun, though, and quite a few great conversations.
Here are some pictures from one of these past few sunny days. We're really lucky to have beachfront access just a few blocks from our house, so this will be a regular event come summer. What a great place to run the dog around and for Elena to explore!
Yes, I realize she's wearing a dress over pants... it happens.
Maybe that's why she seems concerned.
An already-soaked doggy waiting for me to play.
7 comments:
Awesome pictures and the Naval Hospital is in the background if that is the Brem area.
Elana giving you pebbles is great. at least she is not eating them.
I used to eat handfuls of sand and look how i turned out...
Glad all is well!
I can't believe she's a toddler! Just a year ago I was holding her and she was a baby. Don't let her grow up so fast!
Lauren you are awesome! I think you just need to trust your instincts and do what you know best. That is what I am learning. And Cory said he is glad you didn't put butter on all her food (with all his health science classes he says that is a bad idea) haha. When I first had Joey he was 1 ounce away from regaining his birth weight at his two month appointment. My Dr. made a big deal about it, but I knew he was getting enough to eat. So instead of supplementing I just kept BF and he is doing great now. He is in the 50th-75th percentile according to the dr's chart...I am going to check and see what he is on the WHO chart. thanks doll! We miss you. Keep up the good work..Elena is ADORABLE!
You're doing a great job! Like Athena said, trust your instincts! I think you're right about setting up healthy habits... Although, butter is very yummy! ;) My mom always tells me about how I weighed only 18 lbs when I was 2! And look at me now, I've filled out a lot. I don't really want to know what percentile I am in now! All kids are different, so you just keep doing what you think is best! See you soon!
Thanks everyone for all the encouragement. It really helps to hear to trust my mommy instinct- sometimes when it gets questioned so much you start wondering. :)
Ryan- I'm not sure what that building is, but that's the bridge between East and West Brem. Handfuls of sand, haha! I think you turned out fine!
Greer- Maybe she's staying little to wait for you! (kidding) We'll be in your hometown come May for a wedding, let us know if you'll be back!
Athena- You are so sweet. I'm glad to hear Cory's health classes support my take on nutrition. :)
Lindsey- That really helps to hear someone else was little and ended up normal. Tell your mom thanks for being on our team Saturday, it was fun!
It really bugs me how they want babies to fit into this certain mold. If they are healthy and active and meeting their milestones then that is the most important thing. Usually if something is really wrong, there will be indicators (besides not fitting into the 50th percentile). Alice was at the 3-5th percentile for so long but luckily I never had any physicians who were concerned with her. I had a friend whose daughter was about the same size and her pediatrician had her go through all these blood tests and things and of course, she was fine. I agree with you on the eating habits and think healthy calorie dense foods like avocado are a great idea. Unfortunately butter on everything is not the worst nutritional advice I've heard of. One mother I knew was told by her daughter's pediatrician to feed her daughter BACON GREASE! Straight.
I think your daughter looks beautiful and healthy. :-)
You go, girl! Stick to your guns! What pediatrician recommends BUTTER on a baby's food?!? Avacado and milk sound like MUCH smarter ideas.
And, these are absolutely ADORABLE pictures! I love you and your little girl!
Post a Comment