People jokingly (or seriously) ask what I do in addition to being a mother and "domestic engineer," and the answer is usually not much. Those are enough to fully occupy my time and energy. But recently inspiration struck for an early Christmas present I could send Adam out with (he'll be gone for the holidays again): a quilt! I'm using some of his old shirts to make a patchwork memory blanket of sorts, something he'll see and hold everyday and think of us. I'm pretty excited! He always talks about how cold the submarine is, so hopefully this will be meaningful and helpful.
Here are most of the shirts I used, a couple more worked in from my brother's closet. Some of these were so well loved I had to disappear them from his closet or he would've worn them to this day. Two of them (second and third from left, middle) and a length of curtain (middle, top) were purchased from a thrift store, but altogether I've spent $3? Pretty neat! I haven't bought the batting or backing yet, though...
All chopped up into strips
(took forever!)
An idea of the layout: simple nine-patch pattern with white border
I'm excited to see how it's turning out! I had a chance to get about a third of the squares put together last Tuesday, and I'm hoping to finish the rest this weekend. Then it's onto the quilting. Luckily I have a friend to guide me through that... :)
No comments:
Post a Comment