Thursday, December 15, 2011

Christmas tree hunting

For my family it's a tradition to head up in to the national parks every year and hunt down our very own tree.  I'm sure it doesn't really make sense to most people.  There are plenty of perfectly good trees right down the street, but we have to drive way out there, get wet socks, and eat chili in windy snow gusts (if we're lucky) to get our own glorious Charlie Brown tree.  There is almost always a bare part to the tree that gets pushed up against the wall, if that gives you any idea.  But it's tradition, and I love it.  :)

I'm sure there are also many people who just have never heard of this, which explains their confused looks.  I'm still not sure how my parents discovered this back when we moved to the area, it's certainly not widely publicized.  Only forest ranger stations sell the permits, so it's an extra trip out there to snag one, which allows you to chop a tree of choice within certain outlined areas of the state park grounds.  And then the fun begins!

Usually we go to the foothills of Mt. Ranier because it's near my parent's house, but this time we tried the Olympics (Bremerton's backyard mountains).  What a blast, and hardly anyone there!  This year Nick and Marsha (aka Papa and Nana) joined us, as well as our friends Luke and Laura.  It's strange to think this may be our last tree hunt for a few years, our time here has gone so fast.  We're trying to soak up all these family moments while we're near.  We and the Scholls are both set to move in the June/July range, so it's also sad to think that we won't be seeing them as often anymore.  We've known Luke since we all began our Navy adventure four years ago living together in that giant house on the Charleston marsh (one of many fond memories the Navy has provided, despite the countless skeptics of sharing a house with a group of bachelors.  Guess you just have to know the right ones).

But enough of my rambling, thanks to Laura for taking most of these pictures.  I think she really captures the fun spirit of the day!
Elena kept saying, "Ice cream!"  I love the pretends she has for her 
own enjoyment.  :)

Is there anything more beautiful than a dusting of snow?

I think this sums up their relationship well.  :)

Elena and Nana

Little blue gnome (aka Madeleine) :)


No place better than between Nana and Grandma.  

Loving the hands in pocket look, Elena.  :)




Love the endless entertainment kids provide, I could look at this 
a billion times and still laugh at her expression.  
(Adam would note her adorable fairytale-worthy rosy cheeks)

Too precious for words

Grandpa found his tree!  I guess it's hard to tell
here where his ends and the forest begins...

Our beautiful backdrop

A successful day

Maybe it's just my brain being warped because we've been getting Charlie Brown trees for as long as I can remember, but I prefer the look of a natural tree over the uber-pruned commercial trees.  Plus, there are less branches to hang ornaments so it decorates faster.    : )

3 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Gorgeous photos.

Annie and Tony said...

We used to go cut our own too. I can't wait until we have the opportunity to start going as a family. Didn't know you had a blog- oops, glad I discovered it now though. :o)

Stacy said...

This is so neat. How do you get a permit?