Introductions are very important here. When we moved into our new house, our realtor took us around to all the immediately surrounding neighbors on our street to introduce us. It was so wonderful having her there. She did all the talking, we just stood there and smiled. We'd been instructed to bring a small gift (she even specified 'Godiva chocolates;' apparently they are rarer and more expensive off base and would be considered a treat). We got to meet three of the families, all older couples. The house to our left is under construction, and the family directly across the street from us was out. We still haven't made our way over, which I'm sure is extremely rude... but we're often out on the weekends or someone is napping. Gomen nasai (so sorry)
We also got so meet some of the other local neighbors. I'm just being silly. :) An afternoon at the park on base led to some critter discoveries. I'm not too knowledgable on grasshoppers/katydids... I think they must prefer warmer climates than the PNW. Adam grew up in Kansas, though, so he had a great time stalking the little guy and showing him off to the girls. An insect as old as a grasshopper must have thousands of different varieties, it would be interesting to find out their distinctions and regional differences. I did learn that grasshoppers are considered good luck in Japan, some people even keep them as pets. They're also a source of food, most commonly served fried. I should probably learn the kanji for grasshopper so I can keep an eye out at restaurants!
Our new friend stayed around long enough to say hi to everyone and give us all tickly fingers.
Not quite sure...
Now convinced he's harmless,
Elena thinks his tickly arms are pretty funny.
She liked that he was giving her thumb a hug. :)
Madeleine is still skeptical
Eek, hang on to your leg little guy!
Totally unaware of her new live brooch.
Wait, what? There's something on me?
Sizing each other up.
I love when we can have science class outdoors. :)
1 comment:
Hahaha! I love their facial expressions as they try to figure out if it's scary or awesome. :-)
Post a Comment