Saturday, December 1, 2012

Thankful

There's nothing like emerging from a 24 hour stomach bug to bring some abounding joy to a day.  And a voracious 4am hunger.  The past few weeks have been long, with Adam working 12 hour night shifts (which work out to be longer when you add in pre/post watch duties and transit), the computer and technology snags, and several other bumps.  The fact that Thanksgiving landed right in the middle of all this did not slip my notice, but I was still wishing that perhaps we could just skip the holiday for a year.

Ironically, this little bout of 'yucky spits' as Elena calls them gave me the opportunity to reflect on the many reasons to be grateful.  The blessings are plentiful, and reminders are always appreciated.  Please, though,  let's find a different way...



Among the many things I am thankful for:

 ... my good health.  One of those things I take for granted till it's gone.

... such happy girls even when they're feeling crummy, and that both of them didn't get sick on the same day.


... a safe, warm house and luxuries like washing machines.  


... the quiet of naptime.

... a loving husband who comes home tired after a long day's work and still cleans the house and nurses his sick girls.  He even went out without asking and got me some mysterious unreadable herbal drink at the corner store (he only picked it for the picture of the stomach), which being a total unknown, was as terrifying as it was helpful.  Mild to moderate on both accounts.  It tasted like licorice.

... the joyful knowledge that I am not a single mom.  So even when shift-work or deployments leave me flying solo at home, I am not alone on this journey.  And that is a blessing for everyone. Many prayers for the single parents out there.

... the gift that Adam is to his children.  Probably the greatest thing I have gotten out of our military life is a witness to the essential role of fathers in family, and I love watching him raise his daughters and his seeing his impact on them.

... his job, and the places and people we have met because of the Navy.

... that we have one good cook in the family.  So even when I forget which week is Thanksgiving, don't grab the stuffing before it sells out, and the sweet potato casserole turns out weird, at least I put the right person in charge of the turkey.


 ... the fascination and creativity that continues to grow in our girls.  It's a joy to watch our budding artists and academics.  (And I'm glad that when Elena directed her fascination towards the ink pad one day, we decided to make a print out of her already messy hand.  Lemons to lemonade.)  :)


... our family.  We were pretty spoiled being so close the past few years, so I think this has been the biggest adjustment in the move.  We're grateful for skype, and emails, and all the different ways that bring them a little closer.


... that we have a marriage that will weather anything, that I'm married to my best friend, and that our relationship will only continue to grow stronger. 


... that we are living an adventure!  Trying to appreciate our new life and experience as much as we can.


Thank you, Lord, for the many blessings you have given us.  
Hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving!


** (As a side note, I discovered that many of my blog pictures are double or triple posted in the google picture bank.  Don't ask me why.  Sifting through them has allowed me room to add new pics, so I'm also grateful to not have to find a new blog or other solution!)  :)  **

1 comment:

The Cichy's said...

Nicely said! I'm having the same issues with google storage (multiple copies of the same picture). I do not want to pay for extra storage!