Boy, I'm slow at posting. It's been a whirlwind of a month, and we've just been enjoying the past week being homebodies with no plans (that is, after we stopped waking up in the middle of the night). Hopefully I'll catch up with some past adventures, but for now our ambitions are simple: surviving the heat. It's... so... hot....
We're home. It's strange how I attach that word to two very different and distant places; it was my first thought when we got to Seattle. The familiar feel getting off the plane in Sea-Tac, (the English!), the joy of being surrounded by family and friends, the striking beauty of a Pacific Northwest summer... it's home. We loved the short week and a half we got to spend there, and were sad to leave so soon. But then, after a day of planes, trains, and automobiles, we couldn't have been happier to see our little townhouse in Japan. It's good to be home.
The reason for our trip west was to celebrate George and Nicole's wedding, the youngest of the Frisch brothers. It was a beautiful day, and we are so excited to welcome Nicole into the family! It's a little silly that this is my only picture of the bride from the whole day, but I was very much in an "enjoy the moment, not document it" attitude. For the whole trip. So I'm sorry to all the family and friends for the great shots of us I didn't get, but I'm not sorry. I loved every minute of just getting to talk. Madeleine was very excited to be in a princess shot, though. I did eventually tear her away from the crown and cape for *most* of the wedding.
The next day we headed over to Fort Worden with most of the out-of-state family, where we took over two of the large Officer's Houses for four days. I was expecting bare bones cabins, but these were really nice! The perfect spot for just hanging out with family and reconnecting.
The girls couldn't have been happier having a beach minutes from their doorstop, and we spent most of the days digging, splashing, climbing sand cliffs, and enjoying the beach. And swinging on the coolest swing. Or, as Elena said, "BEST. SWING. EVER!"
My parents came out with their boat and got to take some of the landlocked Kansas Frisches
out for a sail. Everyone involved enjoyed the deal. You know it's not hard to get my dad to sail. :)
Relaxing on the beach and chatting,
it's hard to imagine a lovelier family reunion.
Sand Angels?
The girls were overjoyed to play with the big kids.
They're in cousin withdrawal now. :)
Grandpa and his girls
On the way back we got to ride with my Dad. There was a little morning fog, but Elena
helped be our lookout. "Don't run over the seaweed, Grandpa!"
Thanks...
Pulling into the marina, we caught a lazy seal
who'd commandeered his own boat. :)
I got Claire into a life jacket for about two minutes of our voyage,
she spent most of the time napping down below.
And here's Madeleine, proving that every time is the perfect time to be a princess.
We got to spend the rest of the week catching up with friends and hanging out. We loved every chance to connect, and can't wait until we're in town again. We're really hoping for a longer stay next time!
(We're still trying to figure out what happens next summer after Japan,
but we're praying it brings us back to Washington!)
The babies are having their own party down on the blanket. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment