Friday, June 5, 2009

Memorial Weekend

My family is very into sailing. And by that, I mean my dad. It's his passion and I love seeing him do something he loves so much. Sailing has always been something that bonded our family together. You really get to know each other when you're crammed six people together on a 24 ft boat for two weeks (good thing we were small back then!). And it's infectious. The wind whipping, the waves crashing, islands to explore, what could be better? Unfortunately, I was blessed with a rather sensitive stomach in regards to anything that doesn't involve being firmly rooted on the ground (thanks Mom...)

So every year on Memorial weekend we go up to Victoria, BC for a big sailing race. This year Dad recruited all my siblings (even got Brian up from San Diego!), and even got an international crew with our German exchange student Michael coming back for a visit. A day and a half of straight sailing through rough waters, wet and cold the whole time? Tempting... but no. I think sailors are drawn to pain. :)


Here's Grandma Pat and Elena on the ferry ride over. She's really thinking about that string...


Found it! :)


We decided it would be much more enjoyable to tour Butchart Gardens. Gorgeous! Elena was conked out almost the whole time. What a happy baby when she woke up!


A little Bellingham-ster! (Thanks, Molly! It is so cute!)


Here they are coming in to the finish!





Can you read the relief? :)


All the chilluns


Grandma and her babies



All-time favorite picture ever. Rah!

3 comments:

Molly said...

I was definitely thinking of you today! Glad to see Elena's grown into herb'ham gear!

I need to call you one of these days-- much in my scheduled order of events for next year has changed!

Love to all the Frisches--

M

Dwntwn Images said...

Lauren, I enjoy checking in on the Frisches via your blog. Thank you for posting!

Unknown said...

I can't wait to see you and meet Elena! Good job on bringing a redhead into the world, apparently we are going extinct... I'll see you sometime this week!!!