People sometimes ask me how military families do it, and for me the answer is I can only take it an hour at a time. I know that I can get up and make breakfast, and from there I know I can survive the morning somehow. A few games, a few dishes, would I be too lucky to say a load of laundry? I have to admit I usually let Elena watch a few shows sometime during the day, which may or may not seem like a big deal. It was big for me, but the break was amazing. Lunch, naptime, a few hours of play, dinner, and then Elena's favorite time of the day (not): getting ready for bed. Each chunk of the day is a conquerable challenge, like running the last mile of a race, and so I just pretend that's all I need to do. And then with the knowledge that I have already done so much, I know I can do just a little more. It's sounding a little Eeyore right now, and it's not supposed to, but maybe I've been channeling that donkey a little these past few months. At any rate, I have an amazing amount of respect for single parents who do this every day. They are some strong people! All I can feel is lucky knowing that my single parenting is a temporary time.
We are so lucky to have my parents nearby, we were there almost every weekend Adam was gone. I had to laugh upon realizing that I probably would have never considered an hour drive each way every week to be easy before, and I definitely never tried that with Elena when she was that young, but somehow it always worked out (Madeleine also takes a pacifier, which makes a big difference). What a blessing to have Grandma and Grandpa heap hugs and kisses on their little girls, it's definitely Elena's favorite place to be. It's heartbreaking that her other Nana and Papa can't be closer, but that's what these pictures are for (and skype). And I think it'll even out eventually!
I'm also so grateful for the amazing mother's group at church, it was really encouraging to be surrounded by truly inspiring women. I've been reflecting a lot on the difference between surviving and thriving, and these ladies are a constant reminder that motherhood is to be embraced as the gift it is. Each day is an opportunity to strive toward sainthood; to grow in those virtues of holiness. Oh patience, why do you give me so many opportunities to practice? :)
And, of course, there is the irreplaceable companionship of the other boat wives. There's no need to explain your day with them, or why you decided on McDonald's for dinner, they know. And when your whole month's schedule turns around about three times, they understand that too. Last minute babysitters, last minute plans, and always someone you know you're not interrupting family dinner.
But for now, we have our Daddy back! We pounced on him coming home from work to get a few shots of his girlies with their man in uniform. None of the kids are looking, but I love it anyways. :)
The whole family! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment