Saturday, March 24, 2012

Ape Caves

A few weeks ago we headed down to check out the Ape Caves, in the Mt. St Helens National Park, with our friends Luke and Laura.  Normally visitors can park in the lot a few feet from the cave entrance, but during the winter the last mile isn't snowplowed.  It was still an easy walk in, but it felt so much more rewarding having to work to get there.  Plus we practically had the caves to ourselves!

 
The ride turned out to be too bumpy, but I thought the sled was a great idea!

Three happy kids!




Musical backpacks... I think Elena had to try every possible transportation option.  

 
She finally settled in with Daddy.  I love this pic.  :)

 

 
Love my little cargo.  :)
(And yes, I know my backpack is open.)


It was so cool walking through the caves!  

 
Charlie looks like a coal miner!

 
I suddenly realized my lens was very dirty, 
but a shot of the little buds is still too cute.


Here's a short video of the cave.  It's not great visually, but you can hear
what Elena spent most of the time doing.  oooh-eee!






Coming back out at the entrance.  What a great time!

I visited these caves the summer after high school graduation with a group of my girl friends as part of a senior  road trip down the West coast, so it was really fun to come back and reflect on the time elapsed.  Surrounded by good friends then and now.  I certainly am blessed!  Created some new memories in the process.  :)

No comments: