Japanese Cherry blossoms (source)
We're headed to Japan!! I know, I can't believe it either! This is what happens when you tell God you're up for adventure. :)
Adam found out on Thursday, and I think the words are still ringing in my ears. Maybe it will sink in soon. We still don't know dates yet, but we're headed to Yokosuka (pronounced Yo-koo-ska) which is a few hours south of Tokyo. So many emotions all at once: totally scared and can't wait at the same time! The thought that we won't be seeing Adam's parents every day is sad, it seems like they only just got here. And it's hard to imagine my parents won't be a short drive away anymore. (I'm sitting on their couch as I write, soaking up every last minute starts now) It's also heartbreaking to leave behind our dog, Charlemagne. He was our first baby, and my best friend while we lived in South Carolina and New York. My parents have kindly offered to adopt their grandpuppy for a few years, and it's comforting to know he'll love the time there.
But we always knew what wonderfully special time this was being so close to family, and how rare it was in the Navy. I also had to tell myself that no matter where we were going to move it was going to mean being away from family, whether across a few states or across the ocean.
Are you laughing because I seem surprised by all this? It was our number two choice, after all. :) I've come to realize that I am something of a reluctant adventurer. I see these amazing opportunities, but often I need a little jump-start. That's why I married Adam. :) He and God are too good at finding excitement around any corner. As we were browsing the list of duty choices I was comforted that none of the options sounded all that bad. I knew we'd be fine wherever we went. But how could we pass up a chance like this? At that point our only job was to be open to the possibility... that I could do. A manageable task. It was God's final decision, I just needed to be willing to entertain adventure.
Well, adventure here we come! Did you know I took two quarters of Japanese in college? Totally random, no foreign language requirements, I just thought it would be neat. Guess it's time to pull my old books and dust them off. I honestly am excited. What a once-in-a-lifetime experience it will be, especially for the girls!
We'll update as we know more details, for now I'm off to learn everything I can about Yokosuka and the area. Any and all tips are welcome. :)
2 comments:
You guys are going to love it here! You are making us think about coming back next year for the 2013 project! Do you know what area you plan to live yet? And don't worry about not knowing Japanese, you can do just fine without it!
Make sure you eat as much Italian and Mexican food as you can before you leave, there isn't any of that here!
Wow, how cool would that be to live there together?! I didn't even realize you were considering more trips, but I promise not to get excited until you decide for sure.
We don't know at all where we want to live. I voted a ten minute walk/bus from base but Adam wants to be away from Navy. :) I think we just have to wait till we get there, but we're all ears for tips if you have them! Can't wait to get all your insider advice when you get back!
Post a Comment