Friday, March 9, 2012

Where to next?

We're gearing up for another move, much as I can't believe it.  Have we really been here three years? Elena was about six months old when we showed up at my parent's just in time for Easter... wow, that sped by.  I love going to new places, so the idea of moving again is exciting, but at the same time we've really enjoyed our time here.  Knowing that we're (probably) leaving friends, family, our parish and our house for a complete unknown is intimidating.

(There is the chance we could be assigned here again, but we're hearing the spots are hard to get so for my own sanity and that of the grandparents I've decided to not consider that option.  Besides, we have the rest of our lives to live here!  Someone else take the bill for us to move and have new adventures for a few years?  Sure!)

So where next?  Adam is finishing up his 'sea tour,' which generally defines any active boat doing regular deployments.  He finished his last deployment (fingers crossed), but we do have a big refit (boat maintenance) coming up which he tends to approach on the same level as being out to sea because it means long hours and every few nights sleeping on the boat.  But, of course, better to see him than not.

So after a 'sea tour' comes a 'shore tour,'  which is usually any Navy job not on a boat.  This is my understanding, so don't quote me on that.  :)  But a land job!  (Hallelujah chorus)  There's a whole variety:  staff at all the big bases, instructors at all the schools Adam went through when he joined (power school, prototype, etc), people to oversee the training modules Adam and the guys use between deployments, instructor at a college ROTC unit, etc.   There are even a few overseas jobs.

The guys "play a slate" to get their next job, which always makes me imagine a big game.  Throw the dice and get whatever job you land on.  :)  But really, Adam is handed a list of jobs opening up in that quarter and then we submit our top ten choices.  There are no guarantees you'll get what you pick, but even though the uncertainty drives me crazy I appreciate having to let go completely.  It really is in God's hands.  So we just turned in our requests and we'll find out in a month!

Here's our top three (because I can't remember all ten):
Naples, Italy
Charleston, SC
Yokosuka, Japan

I'm a homebody, so I'm wishing for Charleston because we loved living there before and we have family nearby (and we'd be on the same continent as Washington!), but Adam is great at encouraging adventure.  How could we let the chance pass by?  Wherever we go there will definitely be room for anyone wanting to visit.  :)

3 comments:

The Cichy's said...

Oh, Lauren! You will be missed, my dear. That is, IF you're being relocated. : (

How long will you have until you move?

Lauren Frisch said...

I'm going to miss you too! The community here is one in a million, to say the least. When we leave depends on the job, but probably June or July. I get the feeling that will come all too soon. :(

Unknown said...

Oh if you HAVE to leave, go overseas if possible! Not many people get to live a few years abroad on someone else's dime... what adventure!

*crossing my fingers for Bremerton first... Italy second...*